|Airdate:||October 24, 1994|
|Airdate#:||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|GG#:||1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Written by|| Eric Luke |
|Directed by|| Kazuo Terada |
|Key Characters:|| Manhattan Clan |
Awakening is the five part series premiere of the Gargoyles series. It was also released on VHS, in a condensed format, as Gargoyles: The Heros Awakening.
In 994, a band of Vikings attack castle Wyvern in Scotland, but are driven back by the gargoyles protecting it. While retreating, they vow revenge... and someone in the castle may just want to help them with that.
Goliath returns to the castle to find all but a handful of his clan destroyed, and the humans abducted. The gargoyles defeat the Vikings and rescue the captives, but a tragic misunderstanding leaves them cursed to remain stone statues day and night... until a rich 20th century businessman takes an interest in them.
Elisa and Goliath are ambushed in the park by a group of commandos. They try to escape, but dawn comes and Goliath turns to stone, leaving Elisa having to lead the pursuers away alone. Upon Goliath's return to the castle, Xanatos reunites him with an old 'friend'. The Gargoyles accept to help Xanatos retrieve his stolen disks from Cyberbiotics.
The gargoyles attack the data storage facilities, and when they return successful, Xanatos decides they've outlived their usefulness.
- Keith David as Goliath
- Ed Asner as Hudson
- Jeff Bennett as Brooklyn, the Magus
- Thom Adcox-Hernandez as Lexington
- Bill Fagerbakke as Broadway
- Frank Welker as Bronx
- Marina Sirtis as Demona
- Ed Gildbert as Captain of the Guard
- Kath Soucie as Princess Katharine
- Clancy Brown as Hakon
- J.D. Daniels as Tom
- Salli Richardson as Elisa Maza
- Jonathan Frakes as David Xanatos
- In order to prevent spoilers for Part One, the theme song was played at the end of the episode.
- Elisa's line: "What could put claw marks in solid stone?" would later be paraphrased in Hunter's Moon by Jason Canmore: "What could put claw marks in solid steel?
- The writers retroactively decided the motorcycle driver and one of the guards aboard the Fortress were the same man who became Vinnie Grigori
- Greg Weisman delivers a one-liner as a member of the Commando Squad. "Nice mask."
- The Alice in Wonderland statues were a reference to how Elisa had entered a strange world she didn't understand.
- Elisa Maza: What could put claw marks in solid stone?
- Hudson: Must you humans name everything? Nothing's real to you 'til you've named it, given it limits.
- Elisa Maza: It's not like that. It's just that, well... uh... things need names.
- Hudson: Does the sky need a name? Does the river?
- Elisa Maza: The river's called the Hudson.
- Hudson: Fine, lass. Then I will be the Hudson as well.
- Brooklyn: We should choose names too. Names that suit our new lives here.
- Goliath: Oh? And what might they be?
- Brooklyn: MM. Brooklyn, I'm brooklyn.
- Broadway: Broadway.
- Lexington: Lexington. Do you like it?
- Goliath: They're all fine names. I guess he'll need a one as well.
- Brooklyn: Oh ho. I've got one for him too. From now on, you're Bronx!
- Demona: I have a name, too, Goliath. The humans gave it to me long ago. You should know it before you die. I am... Demona.
- Goliath: I've been denied everything... EVEN MY REVENGE!
- David Xanatos: Start hiring crews, I want to begin as soon as possible.
- Owen Burnett: It may prove difficult to find the necessary manpower. This castle has a bad reputation. The locals consider it haunted.
- David Xanatos: You know the answer to that, Owen. Pay a man enough and he'll walk barefoot into Hell.
- Brooklyn: If they think we're beasts and monsters...
- Lexington: Then perhaps we better live up to the name.
- Goliath: It is the nature of humans to fear what they do not understand. Their ways are not our ways.
- Demona: We've dreamed for a thousand years Goliath. It's time for our dreams to come true.
- Broadway: I wish I had time for a snack.
- Lexington: You just ate.
- Broadway: I know, Chinese food. It was good, too. But for some reason, an hour later I was hungry again.
- Elisa Maza: Listen Goliath, we haven't know each other very long and I know you don't have any good reason to trust humans... But you've got to trust somebody in this world. And I think you'd be better off with me than with Xanatos... You won't regret it.